“Take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves.”
Hi lovely Motivation Seekers, how are you? Was your week a good one and did you get some new habits formed after last week’s Motivator? Really hope it made a difference for you, that’s what the Motivators are all about, helping you get motivated to make changes so you can live your best life.
Following on from changing habits last week, I thought it could be good to look at Time Management again. It seems we can never look at this enough! It is the biggest problem we seem to all face in our modern, fast paced lives. I know it is something most of my clients in business struggle with.
What can we do about it? PRIORITISE – if I gave you no other advice than that, just doing that alone would make an incredible difference for you. As our quote says, take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves. There are a lot of minutes in each day and if we are focusing on the important stuff, the things that really matter, not only will we be more productive but we will be living more fulfilled and happier lives. Sounds good, doesn’t it? So here are my Top Five Tips for Good Time Management:
- Analyse where you are spending your time. We are going to look at this in a big picture way, so you can see what/where you are bogged down and what you can do about it. Click here business_coaching_-_urgent_important_matrix_v3 for the Steve Covey Urgent/Important Matrix to help you with that. Ideally, we want to be working in Quadrant 2 – Planning and Goal setting if we want to get where we want to go. If that seems impossible to you right now, click here to get in touch as I have so many ways to help you do this.
- Have a clear vision of where you want to go. This isn’t just for your business or career, it should also cover what you want for relationships, family, recreation, spirituality – the whole holistic you. Click here for the Life Balance Review worksheet to help you see what areas need some work and so you can start prioritising those areas in your life.
- Find the big question to lead you to your vision. This is awesome to help you make decisions on what to prioritise and work on first, or even whether you should work on something at all. Sir Peter Blake had one big question that he asked when his team were building a boat to try to win the America’s Cup. It was a simple question – will it make the boat go faster? If the answer is No, spend no time on it. If Yes, give it some priority. Think of the one big question that could do that for you in your business or career or life vision.
- Find the biggest time wasters – where do all those minutes go? You have to be brutal here! What are you spending your time on? Trawling through e-mails, facebook, instagram, Google. They can all suck up time massively and have they taken you forward to where you want to go? How many cat videos is it going to take, before you let that go and spend time on the things that matter to you? If it is going to change, then it’s up to you to make the changes.
- Make a to do list the night before – The people who take the time to do this, become the most productive. It doesn’t take long to do, and can make a massive difference to whether you control the day or it controls you. The secret to making this work, is to write it down. For some reason, it works better to do it that way than it does to have it on a spreadsheet or have an electronic to do list. I have tried them all, and I still come back to the written to do. Start by looking at your goals, your big picture stuff that you want to achieve, then look at what needs to be carried over from previous days and if it should be carried over or dealt with in some other way. Then prioritise them A, B, C and concentrate on those items first. Don’t have too many things on your “to do”, it’s not how big the list is that matters, it’s what the priorities are.
I will have some more tips next week – I have so many tools to help you with all this. I am thinking about putting on a workshop just on time management as it is the biggest problem to be worked on and provides the biggest stresses in our lives. Let me know if this is something you would be keen on click here to contact me.
Have a great week, watching the minutes and making the hours count.